Monday, February 5, 2007

Bucket Brigade


This image burned into my brain in childhood, seen so many times as the classic Fantasia piece, The Sorcerer's Apprentice appeared time and again on The Wonderful World of Disney.So it is not surprising that it and that wonderful music lurk in my mind as I lug buckets of water from shower to garden, washing machine water collecting and catching rare rain water.We are under stage three water restrictions as the drought continues and I wonder how I could ever shower now without a bucket by my side! Water is rationed to those plants I deem "bucket worthy" - mostly my courtyard rose garden, which was decimated by a previous dry summer and I carefully restocked over the past winter and my restocked native garden which I nurtured through winter and spring until mature enough to be left to their own devices, aside from the odd trickle of bucket water.My small potted herb garden outside the back door get cleaner water as I balance possible risks of eating fresh plants watered with grey water (well, when my conscience gets the better of me - the rest of the time I slop in bucket water with crossed fingers! We are healthy and use planet friendly products where we can.)So my workout involves lifting weights (full buckets are just the right weight!) and walking backwards and forwards from water source to individual plants. I am permitted to use my trigger hose or drip watering system on Wednesdays and Sundays, before 8am or after 8pm .... not usually my most alert hours ..... so I generally only do so once a week or less, to flush the soil a little and reduce build up of salts etc from the grey water.And the plants seem to thrive on it!

No comments: