Monday, December 13, 2010

Reverb10 December 12 – Body Integration

#reverb10 December 12 – Body Integration
This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?
(Author: Patrick Reynolds)
Really need to get me a hat like this!
For a very non-active person, I seem to participate in a lot of physical activity these days  - as you grow older you really can't ignore your lack of fitness as it actually stops you doing stuff you like! Add to that a couple auto-immune diseases and ... well ...
So, here I am a person who fits life around an "exercise" schedule, albeit a sedate one! An ideal week sees me doing two water aerobic classes and one yoga class (this will hopefully be joined by a second next year). And it is probably in the water that I occasionally have moments I could describe as fitting today's prompt.
I am pretty good of getting one with thinking while my body does the workout - I know that isn't the general idea - but every now and then I find myself 100% focused on the movement my body is doing and just feel the whole experience. Where my brain disconnects from thinking and just tunes into what is happening.
Maybe this is the "zone" real athletes refer to? Usually it is just a fleeting moment before I get back to thinking about what I need to get at the shops on the way home!
BTW, In both my water aerobics classes, I am the "baby" of the group! There is a lot to be said for working out with women who have ten - twenty years on you!

2 comments:

Norah Carroll said...

Though we are in different stages of our lives, I too am a non-active person trying to enjoy activities like swimming and yoga that build up my athleticism while letting me reconnect and refocus with myself. I loved reading your thoughts about water aerobics, because I feel the same way in the water, whether I am swimming for exercise or just floating along. Even when you're repeating physical movements, there's something about the water that puts you at peace in a way other environments just can't!

Unknown said...

It is also that the water is an organic substance you are interacting with, so you see the ripples, feel the current, smell and taste the chlorine or salt and hear sounds muffled through it.So it really is a whole-body experience.